Personal Insurance FAQs

Check out our FAQs to start seeing the many benefits of working with West Suburban. Of course if you still have a question that we didn’t answer here, feel free to call us. We’d love to chat with you!

Why should I use West Suburban?

Buying insurance is relatively easy in today’s market. You probably have even seen an insurance ad or two today that promises you significant savings if you switch to them. But do your homework before jumping on an attractive online offer that knows nothing about your life situations. There are some pretty big benefits you might be giving up. So why should you choose West Suburban over the company that has a celebrity-endorsed insurance ad?

First, West Suburban is an independent insurance agency. We’re not selling just one insurance company’s products. We don’t just do business online or over the phone. We represent multiple insurance companies and research the plans from these firms to find you the best combination of price, coverage and service.

Second, we’re part of your community. We’re not just a faceless call center. We’re people you know. We’ll sit down face-to-face to talk about what you need and we get to know you. So when life changes or you have a claim you need help with, we’re here for you and will provide you with options and insight on the best products for you.

Should I review my insurance with you every year?

A yearly insurance checkup is always a good idea (plus, we love seeing you). At the very least, if you’re going through any big time changes in life—you’re moving to a new house, you’ve had change in marital status, you’re expecting a new baby or you’re thinking about retiring—we should sit down, talk and review your options.

Does West Suburban write the insurance policy?

No. As an independent agency, we are authorized to sell policies for numerous top-rated insurance companies. We shop our network. You reap the rewards. As for our recommendations, we look at what your needs are and hand-pick plans that fit your situation and budget.

Are there ways I can reduce my insurance costs?

Absolutely. You can reduce your premium costs various ways by meeting qualifying discounts, pairing two or more policies together, and customizing your policy to meet your exact needs. Talk to our agents about how we can save you money.

What do I do if I have a claim?

West Suburban makes filing a claim super easy. Call our office at (262) 783-6275 during normal business hours (9 AM – 4:30PM, Monday-Friday) and we’ll walk you through the process. If you need to report a claim after business hours, you may also contact your insurance carrier’s 24-hour claims service. Still let us know about your claim though, so we can make sure it is resolved as smoothly as possible.

I can't find the insurance ID card for my vehicle and I am stopped by the police. What are my options?

Many insurance companies now have apps you can install onto your smart phone. These apps often include a digital insurance card which is “legal” in case you are stopped.

Not all of the drivers in my household are listed on the insurance ID card. Is this a problem?

No. The insurance ID card goes with the vehicle and only the named insureds are listed on the card. For example, if you daughter is driving a car from your household “fleet,” her name does not have to be on the card unless she is the title holder for any one of vehicles on your household’s policy.

If I rent a car, do I have to purchase insurance through the rental agency?

Your auto policy may provide you with some coverage when you rent a car. In most cases, if you have full coverage (comprehensive and collision) on at least one of your vehicles, you are not required to purchase insurance coverage through the car rental agency. Most carriers do not provide coverage when renting outside the 48 contiguous United States.

If a family member (or friend) drives my car, are they covered?

Coverage from your policy will follow the vehicle. If there is “permissive use” of your vehicle, all the coverages on your policy will be active for both the vehicle and the driver.

My son (or daughter) is off to college and won't be home until Thanksgiving. Can I take them off my policy?

No. They should remain on the policy, but if they are far enough away (100 miles in most cases) we can add an “Away Student” discount. They would remain with that status until they leave school.  In most cases the “Away Student” discount is better than the “Good Student” discount.

Do I need insurance for my child’s possessions that they take to college?

Most of our carriers will extend coverage from your homeowners policy to your student’s possessions while they are in university housing. Once they move into an apartment, they should get a renters policy; renters policies are more frequently being required by landlords. These are not very expensive. Call West Suburban Insurance Agency for a quote.

Get free personal insurance quotes from multiple carriers to see how much money you can save.

Get A Quote